Sunday 3 October 2010

Around the mulberry bush

Yes, it's right. I'm 34 and I have silkworms as temporary pets, a pasttime usually associated with school children. I haven't had silkies for almost two decades!


I got them from friends, who have children, and it is fun raising these silly worms. I've got only 20 of them as I like giving them personal attention. I remember reading something in an article in a National Geographic magazine from the late '80s about tickling silkworms with a feather to encourage them to grow nice and big; and this is what I did as a child. My silkies were always healthy and sizeable. I'm going to give it a try again - and I'll make them spin shapes.

My regular run routes pass loads of mulberry trees, so I have no shortage of leaves.

I'll post an update in a few weeks (I can't remember how long these guys take to get to cocoon spinnin stage?) to show you how big I can get them. Mmm... need a negative control to see whether my techniques work better than just shoving them in a box with food...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm so glad I'm not the only 30-something with an inherited 'scool kid' pet! Mine is a hamster formally called Starlight, Pookie for short. She has a running ball for semi-supervised free running inside the house (she demolished the spinner in her cage) and gets really expensive hamster-specific, easy to digest treats - can you imagine!

Recently the original owner (my 10 yr old nephew) had to babysit Starlight while we were on holiday. To my dismay I found that I couldn't help giving seriously strict instructions on how often she must be given expercise, when to clean her cage, which fresh food she likes... this probably means that I am now a serious hamster owner!

Have fun with the silkies. You can change the colour of their silk by giving them different types of leaves, can't you?

adventurelisa said...

Hahaha ;) My silkies started spinning yesterday. Can't remember how long it takes them to pop out as moths. Two or three weeks?

Hammies are divine. My mom's friend has children, but the hammies are more hers than her children's. She's had one or two breeding cycles and she keeps adding on more of those tunnels and sections.

I always had hamsters as a child so I can totally see the appeal. They're so soft! I've thought about it but as I often have cats around (I encourage neighbours' cats to visit) and wouldn't be able to take hammy to my mom if I'm away (she has my cat), they're a no go.

Enjoy your inherited pet and ignore all those people who tease you about it being a school-kid pet. They're just jealous ;)