Saturday 15 January 2011

Email stress out


One of those little snippet things in a current woman's magazine says:
50 - the number of emails received a day it takes to stress out the average person. Use electronic flags to prioritise important emails, then file away the ones that can wait for a day or two.
What this silly little snippet doesn't realise is that if you file away the ones that can wait then you'll have these plus the next day's 50 emails, plus the next day's 50 emails...

I suffer from email stress because I have this thing about completing each day's emails by the close of that day, which is often around midnight (or 1am, or 2am).

Many websites give advice that aims to reduce email stress. Some of it freaks me out even more. Sure, it's easy to delete and not respond to jokes, chain emails, unsolicited offers and those that you're cc'd into by people to keep you in the loop about something. I do respond to emails without a clear request (they irritate me, but I still respond) and invitations (to say yes or no).

Although I'm relatively comfortable not checking my email every five minutes, I do like to keep on top of it during the day; I'm usually online for the bulk of the day. When I'm not at my computer during the day I get back to 20-40 emails, which I then work through to clear my inbox for the next day...

I'm also getting really better at keeping my responses short; although I do aim to answer questions properly so that I don't get tied into a back-and-forth volley. Sometimes I just respond with 'Done' - like when I add an event to the AR calendar or update details. It works for me and the recipient, who gets both acknowledgement and confirmation with this one word. A website suggests trying to keep your reponse to within a sentence or two and no longer than five sentences. I like. Would be nice if incoming emails were this short.

I was laughing with friends last night when we were commenting how now, at the beginning of the year after the holidays, it seems almost rude not to start your emails with "I hope you're well and that you had a good holiday" and "Best wishes for a wonderful year ahead" before launching in to what you want to really say. From February this nicety can be thrown out the window.

I've also had this thing about questions in emails. I really enjoy emails from friends where they go ahead and spit out what they want to say - telling of their recent holiday, new job, exciting project. Although it is good etiquette to ask after your recipient, it makes me feel obliged to respond. It's nice to just read.

I'm not big on phoning - unless I need an immediate response, which is not often - so I do favour email. I like that my recipient can read my email at their leisure and that they can consider a response (if one is needed).

All in all, email is super - it is convenient and practical - but it is also a health hazard. Email does get me down, yet it is a valuable communication tool. I'm trying to keep my emails more work related, preferring runs to chat with local friends ;)

No comments: