Sunday 20 February 2011

Seed bombers... bombs away!

This afternoon I had a seed bomb party, which involved the making of seed bombs for this fast approaching winter planting season.

Seed Bombers: Bridget, Sarah, Alex and Tony. Liz in bottom left corner. Marilyn was in attendance, handing out cake to keep us going ;)

Last year I looked into seed bombing and in August I harvested a load of yellow and orange Namaqualand daisy seeds from my own flower bed and from the park across the road.

Seeds in compost-potting soil mix
In making these seed bombs I didn't stick to the 'recipes' I've found online, instead just mushing up the seed bomb balls by feel. I did mix the seeds in compost and some potting soil to give them some nourishment, as advised on websites. Also, we used regular clay and not clay powder - clay powder would be better and easier to manipulate. Next time... (I've still got more seeds).

Interesting to see how we all favoured different mixes and developed our own seedbomb-making techniques. Some took the samoosa/pie approach, making a clay 'pastry' to enclose the seed-compost mixture. Mine ended up looking rather earthy, Liz's ranged from earthy to clayey, Tony made potato-pebble looking bombs, Bridget's were well-rounded and smoothed, clay also dominated Sarah's mix, while Alex stuck to his samoosa technique.


 

 



Something could be said about personalities from the way we construct seed bombs... but I won't *grin*

So, now we leave our seed bombs to dry for a few days. In March, we'll take a couple of bombs with us on our runs (or in our cars), lobbing them into dull looking open spaces and the side of highways. Flowers should bloom in early to mid June.

1 comment:

expressyourself said...

Wow how cool is that, i love the idea! gonna look into it myself immediately.