Tuesday 13 June 2023

Whiskey Creek Cabin and the Keurbooms River Canoe Trail

 I usually use weekends to catch up - on work, emails, admin and home tasks. I've neglected a whole lot of To Do list items because I've spent the last three weekends out-and-about. First there was volunteering at the MUT event, then an overnight paddle on the Keurbooms River and this past weekend I went on a group hike, my first group hike attendance, I think, since 1999! I'll post about the hike in my next post. This one will be about Keurbooms.

Whiskey Creek Cabin is an overnight hut on the Keurbooms River near Plettenberg Bay. It is managed and maintained by CapeNature. The hut can only be accessed by kayak so the booking includes paddling up the Keurbooms River - a journey of seven, pleasant kilometres. Kayaks are provided by CapeNature and for me it was the first time paddling a Legend Big Horn three-seater kayak*. While not quite one of my Vagabond kayaks, it suits the purpose and can carry a lot of load.

* Canoes are paddled with a single blade paddle (they're often too wide to be paddled with a double-blade paddle). Kayaks are paddled using a double-blade paddle. We used a double blade effectively making this craft a kayak, but it is styled on an Canadian-type canoe, just more narrow.

We had a good paddle, stopping at a scenic beach or two on the way up. On the path leading to the cabin I discovered some fungi, seeing an earthstar for the first time and finding Wood Ear jelly fungi for the first time in a while.

We hung out in the afternoon, had 60th birthday celebrations for a friend in the group and enjoyed a dinner braai. Sleep in the cabin was good. The morning brought with it a delicious breakfast and a leisurely paddle down the river.

If you ever plan to do this paddle, I definitely recommend staying over for two nights. No less. It really is special out there. The hut sleeps 12.

I shot some video clips, took some photos (all the good ones were taken by Zelda) and made a six-minute video.


Pictures speak louder than words. 

My first time paddling a Legend kayak. This Big Horn does its job as an big kayak to transport people and their gear. Photo: Zelda


Me.  Photo: Zelda

The cabin is big and solid with a big deck, which is where we all hung out. We got lucky with the weather. Photo: Zelda

The big deck and fire place. Photo: Zelda

Playing a general knowledge quiz game created by Zelda. Girls (me, Jolene and Carin) against the boys. We won. Photo: Zelda

Back on the water to paddle home. Photo: Zelda

A memorable weekend in good company with
Zelda, Carin, Jolene, Johann, Johan, Otto and Constandt. 



No comments: