Friday 14 July 2023

Out with the new, in with the old

At an optometrist visit not long after I turned 40, I saw ne optometrist. Just the standard every second year checkup. My optometrist said that at some stage I would find my distance vision to improve and my close focus to deteriorate.

It took a few years but the process is in play and I recently had a check-up, my second since I've been living in George. Where my eyes had been stable for many, many years, they are changing. This was now my second prescription downgraded. I've gone from a -2.75 to -1.75 in about 3.5 years. 

I used to just wear my same prescription glasses for everything - close and far - even though I've always been able to see fine close being short sighted. Two years ago, I got a second pair of lighter prescription lenses for computer work. These are still good. I don't wear glasses for close-up. 

On this recent appointment, I needed to get a new pair of distance glasses at a weaker prescription.

Optical frames are expensive. I wasn't crazy about my last pair and wanted something similar in size and shape to the glasses I had two before. These I must have gone through three optometrist visits, keeping the same prescription and frames again and again. I took them along to try to match up with something new.

I tried a few frames but the upswept styling on the corners of the ones I liked and tried didn't do anything for me.

I ended up having new lenses put into my old frames. The benefit of this is a saving of at least R2,000. It can cost this or more for optical frames - on top of the fees for lenses, and appointment, which amounts to a lot.

For the next two years, if not longer, is out with the new and in with the old - I've got new-old frames again. I'm glad I hung on them.



No comments: