Sunday 26 September 2010

Paddling pleasure

On Friday morning Steven and I paddled at Emmies. Public holiday - the dam was quiet.

After a couple of laps Steven asked, "How many laps have we done?".

"Four, I think," I replied. Based on time and the number I'd counted this seemed right.

He sighed. I sighed.

The next six laps went faster but each one was a sssslllloooogggg.

This afternoon, in pumping wind and glorious sun, we paddled at Germiston Lake, my favourite spot. The southern side of the dam was rough with the wind blasting and waves hitting us side-on. We did extra large laps around all the buoys and clocked our best times.

We were both feeling a bit blah after Friday's paddle; this afternoon's session has renewed our paddling spirits. I love paddling into driving wind and in conditions like this the lake is exciting. With smooth water on one side and waves on the other there is little opportunity to get bored. What a pleasure!

No comments: