Sunday 26 September 2010

FEAT - less than two weeks

My event, FEAT, kicks off in less than two weeks now. On Thursday, 7 October, 12 South African adventurers will take to the stage to talk about an aspect of their most recent expedition - or a topic related to adventures. The key thing here is that each speaker only get seven minute to talk. Yes, exactly. Fast, dynamic and entertaining - all rolled into one evening of live talks.

Although I've been cooking up this puppy for months, it was officially announced on 15 July. Tickets went on sale on 1 September (317 of them) and today, 12 days before the event, there are only eight tickets available on Computicket. I'm delighted that I'm not the only one who thinks that FEAT is a great idea.

As the days count down to the event, I've got a load of last minute details to take care of - and then the day will be here.

In advance, I have a number of people to thank.

Deon Braun, editor of Go Multi Magazine, was out running with me in early-May at Suikerbosrand and I told him about my idea for FEAT. He loved it and told me to go ahead and that Go Multi would provide support.

That night I drew up a draft concept and emailed a number of adventurers. Over the next few days they got back to me to say that they were in.

The same goes for my sponsors - Biophys (Michael Graz), Buff (Adventure Inc - Eric Riemann & Christo Snyman), CapeStorm (Ian Little and Tony Mantovani) and Hi-Tec (Shayne Vervoort). Neither of these people hesitated to give their support (and money!). Thank you.

And, from the start I've just had super responses from everyone I've dealt with - from the venue (Wits Theatre) to printers, media, people involved with the event, friends, family... It really helps to have so much positivity from people when you're putting something like this together on your own. And because of all of these people, I haven't been alone in this.

So, in less than two weeks a dream I have had, to bring South African adventurers together and to promote and publicise the incredible things that these people do, is going to come true.

Dream makers - thank you.

No comments: