Thursday 3 March 2011

Can you stand in one place and sweat?

Tonight was another of my beginner Ashtanga Vinyasa classes where I'm learning the primary series - learning the basic postures. A very brave adventure racing friend came to join me. Although he is a remarkable athlete, he has never been anywhere near any form of yoga. But, up to try anything, he came through to give it a go - and did fabulously too.

The practise starts with 10 sun salutation sequences; five of the most basic version (A) and then five of the version incorporating warrior pose (B). We actually only did nine tonight and were sweating nice-nice already after the sixth!

We then progressed through some standing, balancing, seated postures and the finishing sequence. We were all drenched!

So, after the class I ask my buddy, who is more familiar with disciplines that have you progressing forwards  (running, biking, paddling) or upwards (climbing) at pace, how he found the class. He enjoyed it and added something to the effect of "sweating when you're standing in one place is... different".

Coincidentally I saw this gem on FB tonight... yeah, liquid awesomeness ;)


No comments: