Tuesday 8 March 2011

I rode my bicycle

You probably think this sounds silly "I rode my bicycle", afterall, I am an adventure racer and biking is one of the three primary disciplines (the others being running and paddling). The thing is that I rarely ride my bike outside of races. Yes, I do lurch from one race to the next, sucking up the biking sections.

Over the years I've become increasingly phobic about riding my bike on the road and off-road spots are not close to home. I'm chicken of getting hit by a car (there are more pleasant ways to go) and I don't fancy being hi-jacked either -  a current trend. Each time I hear of cyclists getting taken out (I've got a few friends who have been hit), it really does reduce my desire to get out there. I'm far more comfortable on foot.

Yet, in urban adventure races where we ride on road, I love it and am quite content. It's probably also because I feel invincible, riding in a race environment, with my teammates. In years gone by (many years!) I did a number of long road bike races - on my mountain bike - and enjoyed them.

So, on Saturday morning I decided to face my fears to ride to a yoga class. The studio is about 14km from home (25-30 mins no traffic; over an hour with traffi) and it's a pretty decent ride (one BIG hill that takes around 12 mins to climb - riding on the pavement). Took me 50 minutes.

I loved it! I had such an awesome morning, riding through the suburbs that I'm so totally itching to ride again. This destination-orientated riding also works for me - one of the reasons I really enjoy mountain bike orienteering/rogaining.

I'm really chuffed that I finally decided to bite the bullet and stop being chicken, because it really wasn't a big deal - and it was fun. I haven't ridden in peak traffic yet... I did scout the route on foot the week before, checking out the pavements. And on Saturday I rode most of the way on the sidewalks - some better than others. The going is a bit slower than on the road, but I feel safer so I'll stick with it.

Nice. I'm pretty excited. Even better is that I've always got this little gremlin on my shoulder niggling me 'cos I don't ride my bike much. I've now found a way to bash the gremlin and to incorporate more exercise into a week. Sure, a 30km ride isn't a long one, but twice or three times a week sure beats nothing.

No comments: