Thursday 28 April 2011

Girly conditioning

It's the Royal wedding tomorrow and, like many other girls, I'm going to be glued to the set to watch the procession of horses and marching soldiers and the carriage and, of course, her dress, hair, tiara or not-tiara, flower girls and bridesmaids...

Guys seem quite oblivious - and I think it is all because girls have been 'princess conditioned' from the day they are born. Indoctrinated may be a more appropriate word.

I have vague recollections of watching Prince Charles and Lady Di's wedding on telly - of course I saw that movie/doccie subsequently (a few times, no doubt). I also remember Prince Andrew and Fergie's wedding, but it didn't have the same fairy-tale sheen that Charles and Di had.

I grew up listening to - and reading - classic stories of princes and princesses. Rapunzel, The Princess and the Pea, The Frog Prince, Snow White, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Thumbelina, Rumpelstiltskin... And who could forget dear Sleeping Beauty. I was brought up on the real, non-Disney versions - books with hand-drawn illustrations. I had a lovely book of Hans Christian Anderson's stories and another of Brothers Grimm's tales.

Little girls are affectionately called princesses, they role-play as princess - dolled up in tiaras and pink nailpolish, they have princess parties and their Barbies come with princess dresses and accessories, including a castle and prince. Yes, a charming (and handsome) prince, everlasting love and 'happy ever after' are part of the princess package.

The prince and princess thing is just not a part of little boys' education, which is probably why male humans will be the only ones roaming the streets, while their female friends and relations are grouped around teevees. A lass on the radio today said that she and her friends are having a princess party, while watching the wedding tomorrow. They're dressing up as their favourite princess - tiara and all. Sounds fabulous. I'd go for that ;)

Although I'm a nonbeliever in the reality of the prince and princess fairy tale and I'm certainly not a royalist, I have been sufficiently indoctrinated to like the idea of the whole lot of it.

I loved these classic stories as a child; and I still like them now. I love going to friends' weddings - I always get misted up with happiness for them. I'm just as bad with chick flicks when the ending is a fairy tale one. These movie characters may not be princes and princesses, but the recipe is the same.

So, as a result of my girly conditioning, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's spectacle and I'll delight in every aspect of Prince William (I remember when he was born) and Kate's wedding.

2 comments:

expressyourself said...

Hi
Can i say that i am actually not totally taken in by this whole affair. and i have, as usual, a strong opinion as to why. it has nothing to do with William and Kate but everything to do with Lady Di. I remember her wedding as if it was yesterday sitting on my Granny's lounge floor glued to every minute of the spectacle. she was my rags to riches fairy princess and i clung to her every move in the years that followed. The 'accident' ended my royal affair so to speak. somewhat of a conspiracy theorist i fell out with the royal family and am doomed to a life where princes don't exist, nor do princesses for that matter....i feel quite sad about it all actually. instead though i will be at work, and listen maybe listen to the commentary on 94.7 on my iPod should i feel so inclined.
to everyone else, enjoy it, and i mean that.

adventurelisa said...

Dress is beautiful. Wedding itself was nice and concise. Abbey looked incredible - loved the maple trees.

I never get the bible passage readings - so round-about and verbose, like a bunch of words strung together just 'cos. I'm not big on hymns either - they all sound the same to me - just different words. Very funeral-ish and not much fun nor uplifting.

Carriage and horses - amazing. I loved watching the different types of carriages - over 100 years old and such different styles.

Crowd shots are great too - love the outfits and hats (crazy hats in the streets and pretty hats of church guests). Lots of street-side spectators with tiaras. Love it.

Now waiting for the much-anticipated balcony appearance and kiss.