Thursday 7 April 2011

Is it really important?

As I heard the news this afternoon of another earthquake just off the North East coast of Japan, slightly closer to the island that the quake of 11 March,  I again had thoughts of just how fragile and insignificant our everyday activities really are.

I love writing - articles, releases, blog posts; I love assembling content and interacting with people through AR.co.za and FEAT and other work projects; I enjoy reading magazines, surfing websites; I devour books; I love my family, friends and kitty dearly.

But, if a tsunami hit, what - if anything - of my daily activities would be important? None of the above, except of course for family, friends and every other person encountered in the ensuing chaos and devastation. Ah... my poor kitty. I'd definitely try to save her but when you're in a situation like that I don't think that holding on to a terrified kitty with her claws embedded in your flesh is an easy task.

As for the content on my laptop, books... it can all go bye-bye because in the big picture, it just isn't important.

And yet this is what consumes most of my waking hours. Why? Because it is what is done. We've got to work to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table, cat in the luxury to which she is accustomed and all the trappings of society as we know it. My various hobbies, sports and activities fill the non-work hours.

I just think it is weird that most (actually, almost all) of the things in which I invest my time, skills, energy and passions are not really important outside of life as we know it. Thankfully I'm really good at organising stuff, people, activities, projects - handy in chaotic environments.

Ah man, another earthquake and an accompanying tsunami warning for the same area... Japan, my thoughts are with you.

Just read on BBC that tsunami warning was lifted 90-minutes after it was issued.

2 comments:

expressyourself said...

Hi, wow as always you leave me with some food for thought and i realise once again how small we are and how big the universe and all that, that entails is. There is a master plan for each of us yet we live our lives running after trivial things (material or emotional); we waste our time over things/people/issues that would have no significance IF we were in the same situation as they are in Japan now.
I am reminded that the most important thing in life is to give freely of yourself with no expectation in return, to help others wherever and whenever you can and to generally try and be the best you can be. Nothing else matters.
anyway my ramblings again for now. ciao

seanverret said...

Really good post Lisa. Great question. It certainly puts things in perspective especially on really what's important in our lives. The less stuff and the more relationships we have, I feel, is the key to really living a great and fulfilled life.