Friday 15 July 2011

67 minutes of crochet (invitation)

Monday, 18 July, is Mandela Day. It's a day that was created in 2009 to celebrate Nelson Mandela's 91 birthday and his 67 years of 'fighting for social justice'. It has become a day, worldwide, where people are encouraged to 'give' 67 minutes of their time to "to inspire individuals to take action to help change the world for the better, and in doing so build a global movement for good."

I'm going to add some colour to the day by offering to teach you how to crochet. I had my first 'student' yesterday and our session went really well; Thato is an absolute natural! I'm inspired to teach you too.

So, this is how it will work...

Over the next day or so I'll organise a venue; it will be in the Bedfordview area and will be from 18h30 or so. Venue will have edibles and drinkables. You just need to RSVP with me by email so that I can get you a crochet hook, yarn and wool needle. I'll also print out some stitch instructions, a pattern for a motif, a simple flower and my pattern for a basic beanie.

I'll teach you step-by-step the main stitches - chain (ch), slip stitch (sl), single crochet (sc), half-double crochet (hdc), double crochet (dc), half-triple crochet (htc), triple crochet (tc) and picot (picot-3). They're all variations on the same theme so really easy to do.

I'll teach you how to read a crochet pattern and to make a pretty motif, including changing yarn colours.

It will be R30 - R35 for the hook, yarn, needle and printouts.

In return, you need to make a lovely beanie (takes only a few hours - really, really easy) and to give the completed item to a homeless person / street light beggar.

If you'd like to come (not just for girls, guys too please), please drop me an email - lisa@ar.co.za or text/give me a call - 082 936 2509.

No comments: