Monday, 10 September 2012

Blankie - DONE!

Geezzz... this turned into a bit of a mission. I thought it would be 'fun' to make a blanket with four different sized squares, three different patterns in the squares (normal granny square and two different squares with round middles) and five colours. Let's just say that I won't be doing this again. Single-coloured squares ONLY from now on!

I started this project in December - probably between xmas and New Year. I worked on it for about two months most nights and then about two months ago I picked it up again, determined to finish this project. Arrggghhhh... so many ends to sew in with each square - two ends for every colour change... and I changed colours every row. Doing the border only took three nights and it went quickly. As an idea, for every two of the squares with the circular centre... you're looking at an hour in time. Amazing to consider this if you look at the blanket not in the number of squares but in the number of hours. It is incredible how many late-night hours can be stolen while watching telly or listening to audio books over many months.

I finished this blankie last Thursday night, before heading to Haenertsberg for the weekend to scout for orienteering control locations for SA O Champs, which is coming up in two weeks. I couldn't stand to think of my blankie waiting with only a little bit left for the whole weekend!

Yes, I do have a new project selected (and started - last night). My friend Kyle gave me a whole packet of yarn from his mom. It's grey so I bought an apple green yarn and a sky blue yarn and will turn this into quick and easy ripple blankets for the home where my cousin volunteers.

1 comment:

Lobby said...

WOW, looks fantastic, well done!!