Tuesday 12 March 2013

Navigation course - finally!

As promised - finally...

 In October last year I attended a British Orienteering Federation Level 2 Coach Course (with thanks to the South African Orienteering Federation). Being on the course got me thinking more and more about how to teach adventure racers to navigate. Sure, over the years I've taught hundreds of people the basics of plotting coordinates and understanding the colours, symbols and contours on topographical maps but I don't think it is sufficient to give any level of practical competence especially as participants rarely attend orienteering events where I can easily guide them practically.

 So, putting in practise some elements that I learned from the hugely experienced British coaches, my observations from years of watching adventure racers make blunders, two years of coaching beginners at the Orienteering Schools League and Camp and, of course, my own errors, I've created a more focused and practical navigation course. I plan for this to give you both practical skills and confidence to navigate competently.

 This will take place over SIX sessions on Saturday afternoons. As I can only accommodate 8 people in each session, to give you sufficient attention, I'll have two sessions each afternoon. The first from 14h00 to 15h30 and the second from 15h30 to 17h00; 1h30 duration each.

Ideally you really need to commit to coming to ALL six sessions. They're progressive. But if you can't make all six then certainly look at committing to at least five sessions.

The rate is R300 for the course. This fee includes colour maps for the various skills, games and activities.

Venues will all be in Jo'burg area but they will change according to the terrain required for the skills taught during the session.

Dates are:

  • Saturday, 13 April 
  • Saturday, 20 April 
  • Saturday, 27 April (this is a public holiday) 
  • Saturday, 18 May 
  • Saturday, 25 May 
  • Saturday, 1 June 


The gap after 27 April to 18 May is due to Expedition Africa. I don't think there are any big clashes in the dates?

If you're unable to make these dates I will look at another six week series later this year but I'll only commit to dates after mid-July.

If you're keen, please drop me a note.

Lisa
lisa@ar.co.za

No comments: