Sunday 19 November 2023

Seychelles Day 12: Salazie Track, Praslin

For my last day on Praslin island, a run to the start of the Salazie trail on the eastern side of Praslin. 

The trail then goes over the island to the other side.

 
Forested and shady on the eastern side and more exposed, with a view, on the western side overlooking Grand Anse and with views of the Cousine and Cousin islands.

I'd arranged to meet my cousin at the church on the main road but as I was early, I said to Fred I'd walk in the direction of the airport; he'd find me along the road. 

In January 1994 (that is almost clear on 30 years ago), before I started university, I spent a month in the Seychelles. Back then my uncle (dad's brother) and my aunt (dad's sister) were running a hotel on Grand Anse, Praslin. I was interested to see whether I would recognise it and my uncle's house across the road. I did! Other properties around these were very unfamiliar.

Walking along the road had me thinking about the 17-year old me vs the 47-year old me. Back then, I spent a lot of time in the water swimming and watching fish, I read and I hung out with my aunt's partner's son who was also here on holiday. I remember going to La Digue, visiting the Valley de Mei, enjoying lovely outings with some young German guests (we maintained a letter-writing friendship for a number of years), a wonderful trip to Curieuse Island to see the turtle reserve and spending some days on Mahe with other cousins. I don't remember a town here but there would have been shops just down the road. I must have driven past them but I have absolutely no recollection of them. We had meals at the hotel so I certainly didn't need to go to any shops for food.

The 47-year old me still reads and generally only goes to shops out of necessity - like for food. But I'm significantly different in that I favour exploring any place on foot or bike, walking to look at buildings and happenings, and aiming to hit available trails. If I had a month here I'd probably start building trails 😂 Days passed slower when I was 17. 

I also have Google now to find things to see and do; I like to hope that with the same resources my 17-year old self would have found a lot more things to do.

That said, coming off the back of my Seychelles trip in 1994, I joined the Underwater Club at Wits to play underwater hockey. Would I have done so if I hadn't spent the bulk of 4 weeks in the water? I was primed to join. Underwater was a huge part of my life for 6.5 years. I made many wonderful friends, and got into website design and sports admin through that sport

Phew! How time has passed. Those 30 years, and these two weeks.

We then headed for Anse Lazio, a really beautiful beach in the north of the island. Spectacular colours today. We swam, walked the beach and then headed home for lunch before my ferry back to Mahe.

Tomorrow, a visit to the market, hopefully time for a run and then off to the airport.

No comments: