Thursday 24 May 2012

The Muffin Muncher



Let's say that I bake muffins (and I do bake really good muffins!). If you've bought a muffin from me before, you get two muffins for the price of one.

Now, consider a family that likes to eat muffins. They love muffins and because they buy from me when ever I bake a batch, they get the special rate. There's not a lot of them in the family but because they're all from the same family I think it is a nice thing to give them a bit of special treatment, just like I do with my family, who readily tuck into muffins.

Knowing that I'm about to bake a batch, the mom asks me to make sure that I keep some muffins for her family (including extended relatives), which I do.

Then, I find out that instead of passing on the 'two muffins for the price of one' to the relatives that ordered their supply of my muffins through her, the mom has been giving them their one muffin and scoffing the other herself.

I asked why she was eating all the extra muffins that were part of the special deal for her family and instead she invited me for tea to discuss this.

Frankly, I don't see that there is anything to discuss. Two muffins each should be going to her children, in-laws, nephews and nieces.

So, because I won't meet for tea and a discussion the muffin order has been cancelled.

I'm not peeved about the cancellation of the order as the majority of my muffins are bought by other families; I'm totally peeved that she was scoffing all the extra muffins that I baked especially for her relatives.

The Muffin Muncher is a fabulous children's book. My dad bought me a set of books in this Serendipity Series and The Muffin Muncher, about a muffin-eating dragon, was one of them. It was one of my favourite stories as a child. Great illustrations. I see it is on Amazon. An how is this? A lady on YouTube reading the book (7:42)

No comments: