Thursday 10 January 2013

Book flashback - The Day of the Triffids

For weeks SABC were promoting the start of their new series, The Day of the Triffids, which is screened on Monday nights at about 22h00. First episode went out this past Monday.

I read the book - written by John Wyndham - way, way back when I was about 13. I clearly remember ripping through books one after another at our high school library (yes, I was a year younger than my standard; I was 12 when I started high school - and 17 when I started university; June birthday). And The Day of the Triffids was one of them. I remember reading another one or two other Wyndham books, possibly The Kraken Wakes and certainly The Chrysalids. But it was the Triffids that stuck in my memory for over two decades.

The only things I remember about the Triffids was that these plants walked, had a whip-like accessory and that they ate people.

After watching the first episode on Monday I bought a copy of the book on my Kindle. I've only just started it - it's good! I'll definitely try to watch the whole of this 2009 series on telly. So far so good.

While we're talking tv... I borrowed Fred's 'The Walking Dead' Series 1 DVDs. OMG! Not your regular zombie movie. I'm hooked. Only six episodes in Series 1 - nailed those puppies in three nights. Aiming to get my hands on his Series 2 this weekend. The first episode of the 3rd season premiered in the US in October. With 10.9 million viewers glued to their sets this premiere became the most-watched basic cable drama telecast in history.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ja, the first episode of "Day of the Triffids" was good, but did you see that SABC3 has cancelled the show for the next few weeks due to the cricket? So I'm not sure when we'll get to see Episode 2. By the time they decide to screen it, everyone will have forgotten about it!

adventurelisa said...

Oh no! I hadn't heard about this. And there I would have been on Monday night waiting for the Triffids and instead seeing cricket. Aaarrrggghhh! Good to have prior warning. After all that promoting of the show you'd think SABC would have planned better eh? Thanks for letting me know.

Anonymous said...

Looks like it will be on again on SABC 3 on Monday, 21 and 28 January. The way episode 1 ended I think theyve split the two episodes into 4.