Wednesday 11 June 2014

Oh, oh, oh, take a tumble

I'm generally fairly fleet footed and it isn't often that I trip or stumble and I don't often fall - usually reserved for forest orienteering events.

Sure, I do occasionally catch a toe or foot and end up lurching forward, but it isn't a common occurrence.

Tonight I clipped a toe on uneven paving and about a kilometre later I landed on the ground after clipping something else. I think that this is maybe my first or second road tumble ever - in more than 20 years!

I was on an uneven sidewalk (dirt and rough uneven paving in places), going around a corner and moving aside for an approaching pedestrian. And next minute I was skidding across the dirt surface and my running buddy, Rob, was helping me up. It happened in a flash.

When it comes to forest running, I'm well used to expecting to trip and stumble and sometimes fall. There's just no getting around running on pine needles, stepping on a hidden branch that flicks up another branch over which you're guaranteed to trip. I don't always fall - lurching is more common, but occasionally I end up with a soft landing on a bed of pine needles, which is usually A-ok.

But this time I wasn't expecting to trip - or fall - so it was a bit of a surprise more than anything else.

I've got a grazed left knee and a grazed right palm. I may have a bruise on my left hip tomorrow from landing on it. But otherwise no other aches, pains or injuries. Phew!

Hopefully that's my tumbling done for the next two decades!

No comments: