Friday 8 April 2011

Colour fun

It all started last year when my local residents association did a drive to get people to knit squares for blankets. I had an idea for project, which I wrote down and left it at that. Early this year my mom found something online that triggered my idea again. So, I got surfing and discovered that so many cool things are crocheted, not knitted. It's the one hand-craft that I've never gotten the hang of (not that I'd ever really tried).

Turning to the net again, I learned the basics of crochet and in the process found this fun and friendly knitting and crochet blog; her colours are vibrant and her posts have got me all enthusiastic about trying my hand at various projects.

It took me a while to settle on a yarn. Pure wool gives me goosebumps (like scratching a blackboard) and so do some of the synthetics. I found locally -made and hand-dyed natural options: 70% cotton twisted with bamboo thread, 100% cotton and 100% bamboo. The blend is a little uneven and rustic; the 100% yarns are even, smooth and silky. Love 'em. And the colours rock.

Through the blog I discovered a crochet book of motifs - shapes, which I ordered online. It arrived this week. And so begins my crochet adventure!

Handcrafts like knitting and crochet have a bad wrap; they're associated with old folks. And yet they're fun, rewarding, colourful and they keep me off my computer ;) And, I think I almost prefer crochet to knitting because it is faster and more interesting.

I'm not very fast and I'm still gaining familiarity with the basic stitches and reading patterns as I currently work on my 4th motif in as many days. I hit the yarn store yesterday and loaded up with some lovely colours. The 100% cotton is my favourite for the crochet motifs because they show the stitches better than the blend, which I love for knitting and chunkier crochet.

The headwarmers... they're divine! I love my fleece-type sporty headwarmers, which I use big time for winter adventure races to keep the cold from my ears. These are pretty versions (band is knitted, flowers are crochet) and will be perfect this winter.



No comments: