Sunday 22 July 2012

I'm proud to know you

I often consider how fortunate I am to know so many really good people. People who use their time to put in a lot of effort to make things happen for other people.

Take orienteering, for example. This is a volunteer-run sport and there are many, many people in the clubs who put a ton of their free time into making maps, planning and organising events and generally keeping the sport alive. Without them the sport of orienteering really would not exist here.

I've found that people are not always willing to get things going themselves and they'll wait for other people to setup and organise things and then they're quite happy to help out, which is very, very much needed.

This tribute especially goes out to all the truly incredible people I know who put their time into voluntarily organising and making things happen for other people to enjoy (not just in orienteering - many other avenues too). You do this not for status or financial incentives (there are not usually any!) but because you enjoy doing and creating and making and giving. This is your satisfaction and I am thankful for this because your generosity in giving of your time, energy and skills enriches my life. I am proud to know you.

No comments: