Wednesday 12 October 2022

Woodwork: glass rain gauge holder

I like having a rain gauge to observe and, sometimes, to record rainfall. since moving to George, I have mostly observed rainfall volumes. In Jo'burg and Parys, I had a 'rain book' to record rain amounts. It was interesting to look back on past years to compare seasons.

I've always had those plastic rain gauges that generally last no more than two years as a result of UV damage to the plastic that renders it brittle. I've kept an eye out for glass rain gauges and finally found one online a few weeks ago. I'd sworn not to buy a plastic one again after my last one was killed by the garden service's edge trimmer.

To feed my rain gauge OCD, I ordered a glass rain gauge but then needed a suitable holder to keep it safe. Applying my woodworking skills, I sanded two scrap pieces of pallet wood, used a circle saw to cut a hole in the one, connected them together and applied three coats of protective wood varnish to exterior use. This evening I attached it to the washing line pole. Ta-da!

Looks like my next project is going to be to sand and paint the washing line poles... My rain gauge is safe from lawnmowers, edge trimmers, dogs and feet.

Only 35mm compared to the 70-80mm classic plastic version. Still, better than another 'disposable' plastic rain gauge. Time to break that cycle.


No comments: