Thursday 22 December 2022

I made a xmas tree

We don't go xmas crazy, but here and there my mom and I will do a xmas tree of sorts. This year, I made us one based on something I've seen around.

As luck would have it, shortly after seeing a tree made in this theme, I found some felled black wattle branches at the dam. It looks like the alien vegetation people had been at work there. I picked up a couple and took them home.

For this tree, I first cut the pieces to size, each level slightly shorter than the one before. Then I drilled 8mm holes through the centre of each. I also cut short rounds from one of the sticks to use in between the 'branches'. These also had to be drilled. I made a longer stem piece and a short 'cap' for the top. Lots of drilling.

For the base, I tried my first cross-lap joint using a 44x44mm square length of timber. It worked a treat.

Then, I got an 8mm steel rod to run through the centre of everything, embedding it in the base. It stands about 840mm high. This is a pretty good take-apart to store tree.

The big bauble decorations are ones that my mom bought for me from Addis Ababa where she was in transit on a trip back from the Seychelles. The lights on the tree are our original xmas lights, which are close to being as old as me - I can remember them from when I was at least six or seven years old. They're different colours (looks one colour in the photo) and they flash.


Santa's Washing Line decorates the lower level of the tree. I knitted this, with thin thread and skinny needles a number of years ago.


No comments: