Monday 6 March 2023

Local kayak race

With thunderstorms and heavy downpours predicted for Sunday, I was undecided about participating in a local kayak race hosted by the Knysna Canoe Club until I saw the forecast on Sunday morning had turned in our favour. So, I headed in Knysna direction to the Goukamma River and arrived in overcast conditions with glimmers of blue sky and sunshine.

This is what it looked like about 20 minutes before the start.

Of course, within 10 mins of the start, the heavens opened, the thunder rumbled and the wind picked up. And then it calmed. And then it stormed. And then it calmed, and then it stormed. All in a 10km - 90-minute period. And it was fabulous. For me, Goukamma never disappoints.

Getting above the weir for the start. This is the first time that I've seen the weir exposed - I usually paddle right over the wall.

Lining up for the start. I was the only plastic kayak. Yay and three cheers for my Vagabond Marimba kayak. We paddled upstream above the weir for 1.5km. Just after the turnaround, the first storm hit. Back at the weir, I wavered and considered waiting for the rain to pass. Instead, I just carried on and the storm was done within a few minutes.

On the section below the Weir, we had wind and rain and clear. This was on the way back - maybe 2km from the end. Beautiful, still, bit of sun. Not even 10 minutes later this changed....

From the photo above to this one - in 10 mins. It was barely a drizzle when I got to the finish less than 10 mins later. Fortunately warm out and quite fun.

As a bonus, I was first K1 lady today. Hahaha - I did ask if I was the only one.

It turns out that I wasn't the only K1 lady, but a group of paddlers overshot the turnaround, putting in at least an extra two kays overall, so the other ladies were likely in that group. I didn't spot the turnaround either but I only did an extra 150m to 200m before turning around - a hundred metres on the return I did see the tag on a log.

I was the only paddler with a plastic kayak. Three cheers for my Vagabond Marimba. A few of our Social Paddling Group paddlers were keen to come but this iffy weather was definitely a deterrent for them and many other paddlers in the area.

Good experience and I'm glad that I went.

No comments: