Sunday 21 February 2021

Moving to the Western Cape Blood Service

On moving to George, I learned that SA National Blood Service (SANBS) doesn't cover the whole of South Africa! The Western Cape Blood Service (WCBS) takes care of my new home province. 

Today, I made my first donation at the WCBS donor centre in George - and an excellent experience it was! For five years, I've been used to the mobile clinic that visited a church hall in Parys. Here, the centre has plush chairs and an established vibe. The staff were superb and just as friendly as those from my Parys clinic. My donor records will be transferred as I work my way towards milestones. Today's experience was clearly exciting - I set a new bag-filling record of 4:37. With much sought after O neg blood, I'm an overachiever blood donor.

Just remember, once-off and annual 'feel-good' donations are.not.used! You get a 'regular blood donor' status by donating 3 to 6 times a year. Only then will your trusted donation be used. The blood services never spell this out clearly with their 'One donation saves three lives' message but you'll find the procedure on the FAQ page on the SANBS website. If you can, donate - regularly!

No comments: