Sunday 7 February 2021

The blocks of our lives

 I was thinking the other day how our lives can be measured in blocks. Blocks can be marked by changes in relationships, jobs, sports or locations.

My chunks look something like this:

The years I don't remember. Too young.

Primary school

High school #1 (Potch for two years)

High school #2 (back in JHB for three years)

University (1994 until April 2000)

I was studying, working part-time (first waitressing and then internet tech support and then part-time lecturer and tutor posts in my department). For me, sport was all about running, road races and underwater hockey. Adventure racing came into my life in April 1999. This changed my life.

The Lost Year: 2000

This year was a mess. I deregistered from university, packed my car and drove. Adventure racing was the only thing in my mind. I returned to JHB maybe that November (it is all a blur) and was very depressed, directionless, purposeless and in a bad way for a few months.

The Mixed Years: 2001 to 2010-ish

These were filled with adventure racing / starting and running AR.co.za / TV crew work / media / travel to events abroad / some full-time work like at Supersport / some part-time work / some freelancing. Lots of orienteering. I worked at a lot of events and participated in fewer in the later 2000s.  I tried a lot of things to find something that worked for me in lifestyle and financially. I never got it right.

Event Organising Years: 2010 to late 2015

These were all about FEAT and Forest Run and orienteering coaching and Metrogaines, while also still writing and freelancing. Minor event participation.

The Parys Years (2016 to October 2020)

Moving to Parys, Celliers in my life, starting YOLO and Vagabond, getting Rusty, girls bookclub, paddling regularly (gaining skills and loving trips), running with dogs, separating from Celliers, covid and then the craziness that was 2020 and the mad rush of our move to George - these mark the Parys years.

The George Years: November 2020 to present

A new block has begun with my move to George. Vagabond, YOLO, exploring trails, paddling, dog school... these are my present. 

It is amazing how much of the past three months is a blur. Things are not set to slow down but losing track of the days and time passing so quickly leaves me feeling that life is slipping away too fast.

What do I wish from this block? 

Less stress, better fitness, success in business, stability, peace and, of course, adventures.

No comments: