Sunday 26 September 2010

Kayak hoist

A few weeks ago I made a kayak hoist in the garage. For months before I had to ask a security guard, who is conveniently based on the corner nearby, to help me lift the double on to my roof and the off it again after paddling. This has been an irritation because the guards knock off at 6pm... What then? I'd then phone a friendly neighbour to assist.

The hoist works brilliantly because I can drive in, undo the tie-downs, hook the rope under the kayak and clip the loops (carabiner connection). The kayak is suspended a few centimetres above my roof rack. It's as easy getting the kayak on to the racks.


I keep wondering why I didn't do this earlier... and then I remembered that my house people had so much stuff in the garage that there wan't even enough space to wheel the lawnmower through it!

It takes me five minutes to rack and load the kayak, which is too heavy for me to lift on my own from the floor to the roof. Easy-peasy. Simplifying things like this makes disciplines more accessible and less hassle.

1 comment:

TB said...

Hi, good idea but be carefull. I did the same in my garage with my fibreglass kayak but only supported it at each end and not in the middle. Over time it developed a stress crack around the underside in the centre. It was quite old though. Have one of these new fangled plastic jobbies now. Cheers.