Thursday 24 February 2011

This Twitter thing

OK, so after FEAT I was pursuaded to create a FEAT Twitter account (Twitter name is AdventureFEAT) and to get more into Twitter, which I've been trying to do.

I've had an AdventureLisa Twitter account (Twitter name is AdventureLisa) for some time. It generates tweets via status updates on the AR.co.za Facebook page - I don't usually post directly on Twitter.

Mmm... athough I've resisted Twitter, it is very much a part of this whole multimedia sheebang and getting into it, for me, is more about keeping up with the Joneses than any desire to put out even more communications that I already do.

So, I got myself the Tweetdeck programme on my computer to keep track of all these damn tweets. I've got people who I am following and there is some useful stuff, about 15% of the time.

AdventureLisa tweets are about AR.co.za stuff, mostly.
AdventureFEAT posts are related to FEAT and adventures.


The downfall of Twitter is that some people just tweet too damn much. The volume of their tweets drowns out the other people - it's a bit like shouting over them. One or two tweets a day is ok; more gets to be just too much. It also means that the meaningfulness of what you post is diluted and often ignored. A bit like cry wolf; when you have something good to say I'll probably miss it because I'm getting so accustomed to hitting the DELETE button.

I've been on Twitter for a week now. I don't know if I'm convinced about it. But, I'll keep at it and see whether I change my mind in a month or two.

3 comments:

expressyourself said...

Hi, i have to say that i thought it was just me and that i was too old to manage all this social media stuff - it is a mine field of information out there and sifting through it all is incredibly time consuming BUT can be valuable, how does one choose. perhaps our techno guru Ray can help us with this next week? But you are right it seems that this is the way its done and we either catch up or xxxxx(don't and loose out!

adventurelisa said...

Ja. And I thought it was just me! ;)

Charlie Nickell said...

Lisa,

Funny thing. I've been trying to figure out a better way to use Twitter versus posting every time I pass gas after a burger. Sorry, I'm like Twitter in a way, TMI; you're hip but that's "too much info" in the US.

I've got to get on the Twit bandwagon also. So, I think I'm going to use it to report live Team INKnBURN race updates on our runners. That would be useful for people following the events since the live web casts usually really stink.

I feel a rant coming on but what's new. Keep up the great blog. I look forward to reading.