Thursday 31 March 2011

Six weeks of yoga

Six weeks ago I started a yoga journey (The path to enlightenment & Can you stand in one place and sweat?) by embarking on a beginner programme at an Ashtanga yoga studio in Dunkeld.

After six-weeks I still can't sit comfortably in lotus (this is going to take a long time and a lot of work!) but I can now grab my fingers when in Marichyasana A and B (just!), my shoulder stand and headstand are stronger and mostly stable and my sun salutation flow is looking mighty fine. It's going to be a while before I can properly 'jump through to sitting' - I have improved. As for those arm balances and 'pushing up into handstand' - well, they'll have to wait a while too.

This journey has given me far more than yoga because once a week I run the 15km to the studio (I get a lift back with my mom, who has also been coming to yoga - a change for her after five years of Tai Chi) and on Saturday mornings (most of them) I ride my bike there and back.

Aside from gaining a different type of strength from the many sun salutation and vinyasa repeats, I have found that my hill running is far stronger; and I put this down to a direct effect from the yoga.

I'm really enjoying the practise and the people and I'm sure that in a few months I'll have made far more progress.

No comments: