Sunday 12 November 2023

Seychelles Day 5: Dans Gallas trail

Today, the Dans Gallas trail. 

It took me a while to get moving today. Yesterday afternoon, when I got back from Fred's paddle, I showered and lay down for a rest (around 5pm). I woke up at 4.30am trying to recall what had happened as I couldn't   remember going to bed - like at night (because I didn't). My uncle, bless his heart, had decided to let me sleep. I must have logged a good 11hrs. 

Like the Copolia Trail, the Dans Gallas trail is easily accessible, well used and offers great views of the city, harbour and nearby islands. 

The trail itself is 3.9km on an out-and-back route.  Like most routes, it is a steep climb up and is graded as 'hard'. I've been saying many blessings for the steep trails at home and also for all of the squats and box jumps at my CrossFit class. I'm working these climbs.

I headed out from my uncle's house, determined to find the trail I couldn't locate on Thursday but that I knew should be around. I found it and took it up up up. I ended up at the bottom of someone's garden and had to climb a low wall to get to the Le Niol/ Mare aux Cochons road that I used on Thurs. 

Indigo seed-containing berries of the Cerulean flax-lily.

View of Beau Vallon on the way up.

My new AR Gaiters and a new, yet-to-be-announced model that I'm putting through its paces on these trails.

The city of Victoria.

I think the peak on this Dans Gallas trail is the dome one in the centre of this photo.

On the return, I tried to find a trail to hook on to the one I came up from my uncle's house but didn't succeed. There will be one but goodness knows where it is. I got close to the river on a little used trail, but then it got very overgrown with no way through in sight. So I took the road - quick and easy. 

A few fungi findings plus I saw a snake. I was too slow and it was too fast for me to take a photo but I'll look up online to see if I can find one that matches what I saw.

A swim to cool off when I got home was a win and a lovely family dinner to finish off the day.

No comments: