Saturday 11 November 2023

Seychelles Day 4: Team No Limit paddle around Mahe island

My cousin Frederick Ladouceur De Speville has completed the first circumnavigation of Mahe island in the Seychelles (the main island) by kayak. He set off at midnight on Friday night from Marine Charter in Victoria, heading south along the east coast. Conditions were ok but with a small swell and some wind, the water wasn't smooth. 


By 4am he had rounded the south and decided to swap his South African Carbonology Sport Boost surfski for a shorter sit-in touring kayak for this southern part. A problem with his spraydeck had him back on the Boost. During the night, he followed a lit boat outfront. By 5am, with the sun brightening, he could safely follow the land. From the south and along the west coast, he paddled against the current, but still made good time.

We must have stopped around 10am at Cap Ternay, a beach near the northwestern corner of the island. There he was met by a crew from SBC, Seychelles TV channel. He had planned this stop to meet the crew and rest ahead of the final stretch across the north. 

Fred was ahead of schedule at Cap Ternay and with events planned at the finish, he couldn't arrive too early. 

Fred's friends and supporters were out as he paddled a hypotenuse across Beau Vallon Bay. Shouts and cheers from the crowd on the large Mason's Travel catamaran (and party music) together with shouts of encouragement from friends on boats and jetskis gave him a boost.
 While that section was hard work, the most difficult was certainly the last stretch from the north east corner to the finish. Wind, swell, sun and heat. His supporters keep up their encouragement but it was undoubtedly a hard paddle on a food and water deficit - being so close to the end.
Fred's welcome at the finish was superb. The country's Vice President saw him off at midnight and was there to celebrate Fred's accomplishment together with friends, family and supporters from all over.

Fred's paddle challenge was created as a fundraiser for the new hospital on La Digue island where Fred lives and where he has a guest house. It has also been about awareness for paddling, which surprisingly is not a well attended sport here. Fred began paddling as a youngster and it played a special part in his life.

Now that the first circumnavigation by kayak is done, this challenge is out there to be bettered by other paddlers. I'm not sure of total duration or distance yet (I'll update this post when I do) but I'd figure it to be less than the 80 nautical mile estimate (150km) with 12hrs paddling time. 

As for me, I joined Fred's wife Verena on a boat that followed from the start. I have a poor sea constitution so I popped a Valoid ahead of the boat ride. I fared pretty well until we were stationary and bobbing in the south at about 4am, in the dark and with no lights on the island for me to fix on. This was while Fred was trying to change kayaks. 

From the depths of my being the seasickness hit - over and over. It really is just the most ghastly affliction that had me heaving over the side of the boat. I had another few hits and then, to my appreciative surprise, I actually recovered and lost most of the queasy feeling. Still, I didn't dare move and I could not type or take photos for a few hours but I did lose my near-death parlour and regain some colour. The stop at Cap Ternay was a blessing. I passed out for a nap on the beach in the shade. Some food and water went down and stayed down.

The final stretch treated me well and I could again take some video and photos and even chat to the TV crew who were then on board with us.

That I had even considered going on a boat on the sea for 14-odd hours... Cousin, that is family love for you 🤢

I am super super proud of what Fred accomplished - for the sport of paddling, his fundraising for the new hospital and for his community. Very, very well done 

I'll be visiting him next week on La Digue and he can be totally excused if he doesn't want to go paddling with me.

No comments: