Thursday 16 November 2023

Seychelles Day 9: Paddle, La Digue

I spent yesterday still on Mahe - collected my new passport and then hung out with cousin Fred doing errands. We took the Cat Cocos ferry across to La Digue where Fred lives. I took a Valoid and slept, avoiding any risk of seasickness.

Rain fell during the night and most of today was rainy. After lunchtime, the weather broke and we headed off for a paddle. 

I paddled his Carbonology Boost, the one he used for his around-Mahe challenge, along the coast to meet him further down where his Vagabond Marimba is stored. We then swapped kayaks. The Boost is light and faster to paddle but the familiarity and comfort of the Marimba was nice.

 I had the chance to use my new CEKR Gear Vango paddle. It is a split paddle, which makes it travel friendly. My older CEKR paddle is great and has seen a lot of use and many trips. This new one is lighter and even nicer. I'll paddle at least once or twice more while I'm here to really christen my new paddle.

Paddling inside the reef, the water is pretty calm. Sure, some rocking, but otherwise very pleasant. With low, grey clouds, we didn't have the whole island-azure thing, but it was pretty regardless.

Tomorrow, probably a coastal trail. One of the guys on Fred's team organises an annual run challenge on this section. He will join me. That will be fun.

No comments: