Tuesday 25 May 2010

Bring back sleep overs

As a young teen on holiday with my mom in Zimbabwe, I can remember driving around with her and having various sites pointed out to me. Her school, old friend's house, homes of family members, favourite store - the usualy kind of places. At some point she indicated the house where a beloved aunt lived and how the family would go there for holidays and gatherings. She said that it was considered quite a drive so they would all pack their goodies to sleep over for the weekend, and then drive back home after all the festivities.

I know memories get wonky with time, but I do clearly recall that even back then we both laughed about it because the house was in Harare - just another suburb away from my gran's house, also in Harare. Perhaps a 30 minute drive? But back then it was a long way to travel. So they'd all sleep over and get to spend a good chunk of time with each other.

I've recently had visitors from other Provinces staying with me; and it has been an absolute pleasure to have them sleep over for a night. We go running, cook food together, talk all the legs off the donkey, maybe watch a dvd, come up with great ideas... And best of all, my visitor doesn't have to drive home late at night.

I had my turn too when I spent the night at the home of my dear friend. We've been friends since Grade 1 and were inseparable from Standard 1. We've lived in different Provinces since high school but have maintained our friendship through time and distance. She now lives in Centurion and with my Spur event at Groenkloof in late-April, I took the opportunity to stay over instead of driving back to Jo'burg. I snuck out in the very early morning and returned for tea after the race.

It was so much fun to catch up and spend time with her without leaving earlier to drive a distance home in the dead of night, which is what I would have done after a usual dinner get-together.

Races are also a lot like sleep overs too. In the days before (and after) the Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge we all hang out in one room - usually the messiest one with the crates, sprawled on beds watching telly, talking junk, messing with gear and enjoying each other's company. Sharing a room with a teamie is like a sleep over too. Locally we all rush to get to a race and rush to get home, we don't usually have this luxury of sleep-over comraderie, which is common to racing abroad.

Where slumber parties are about nighties and midnight feasts, sleep overs are about spending more time with people whose company you treasure.

This gives a different perspective to 'bring and braai'. What? Bring my sleeping bag? Cool. 

No comments: