Wednesday 5 May 2010

The can'ts who can

Despite being exhausted from this week's workshop - I can barely lift my arms - I had a great class tonight. In  particular, I did handstands - yes, this childhood basic - a move I have tended to avoid because so many of my students battle and grumble. But, without a decent handstand and the development of shoulder and arm stability and strength, there are a dozen other things that I can't do with them.

Before we'd even begun my ears were ringing with the sound of "can't, can't, can't" said around the room.

So, we started with the basics, hands on the floors, one foot on the ground and easy bouncing to lift the other leg in the air. Then, we progressed to pushing up a little harder so that the lifted foot would tap the wall. Some students who could barely lift off the floor and hadn't done a handstand since pre-school got this right. Others kept going to get their feet against the wall. Mission accomplished! Go girls!

I'm putting this sign up next week. There's no such thing as "can't" in my class. I'll only accept, "I am unable to get it yet... but I will 'cos I'll keep trying".

No comments: